Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Prospective Jobs

To turn to a more pragmatic aspect of blogging, I wish to discuss job searching and see if there are any tips I can accumulate.

Some advice I've heard in the past is to come up with a 60 second blurb about yourself and what you hope to accomplish within your field so you can pitch this at job fairs.

"I, Rosanne North, desire to work in a public library serving adults, children, and the general public. I have an MLS degree, html, Microsoft Office, and database creation skills. My past experience has been general office work updating online catalogs. I also have instructional experience teaching library workshops to freshmen."

Sufficient for now, but I'm still working on it.

This coming week in class I'm arguing for upholding Bridge to Terabithia as the rightful winner of the 1978 Newbery medal against Ramona and her Father and Anpao: A Native American Oddysey. Honestly I have no idea why either of these books were nominated. Anpao's author has been denounced and dethroned as a self-proclaimed Native American and his book combines several stories from Native American folklore to chronicle Anpao's journey from childhood to manhood. At least with Ramona and her Father the book's timelessness has held up. Ramona and her family have to face hard time and difficulties within their family structure when they can no longer rely on their father's income after he loses his job. In the face of this recession (gone or not), this book can be applied even in today's society as children have to cope with their parents' worries instead of enjoying the blissful innocence that childhood allows.

I believe Bridge to Terabithia is most deserving of the medal because of its serious topics and handling of death for young people. Also because I'm drawn to the main character, Leslie, who is a girl imagining the world and trying to make friends while dealing with absent parents.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, remember when I used to coach you on doing interviews? I won't belabor old points but if you want any of that old advice again, let me know.

    ReplyDelete