Sunday, March 7, 2010

Volunteering business

I've completed my paperwork and the process has been started to run my background check, once again, so that I may volunteer with the DC Public Library. I don't know where they will put me yet but I am excited to be a part of a DC library, however I can help.

I'm still volunteering in Maryland helping run a Conversation Club for community members and patrons who want to brush up and improve their English. I'm only volunteering once a month now. Last week the numbers reached incredible proportions with 11 participants (more than I've ever had). It was a bit daunting but I've found that if you let them lead the discussion they'll run with it.

Upon confirming my eventual departure to Manassas, VA I'm looking for libraries to volunteer around there, as well as in Fairfax. Though nothing definite until I make the move from MD to VA I saw that most libraries in Manassas want at least a six month commitment.

3 comments:

  1. Conversation clubs sounds like an interesting and cool approach.

    (Found you by searching on volunteering - glad you're giving your time!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Volunteering is a really rewarding experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also putting my time in volunteering for ALA (American Library Association) conferences by helping them set up.

    ReplyDelete