Sunday, June 13, 2010

We're everywhere!

Just the other day, Saturday, I was in Philadelphia for the 2010 Comic Con at the Philly Convention Center. Cons, generally speaking, are an excuse for large crowds of nerds and huge fans of a certain subject (in this case, science fiction, animation, movies, TV shows, and actors) to gather in one place and share in their collective love for all of the aforementioned subjects. The only downside about conventions are the long lines, usually resulting from so many people waiting to be in the same room as a celebrity presence. Case in point, the line for Bruce Campbell's Question and Answer session nearly reached the length of the line just to get into the convention center. It was in this line to get into the Con that my friend Sarah and I ran into two men. One was much older and had a black T-shirt which said, "Today is a good day, to read!" We came to find out that he is a librarian! It amazed me how many librarians are in the world and how cool it is when we find each other in the strangest places. We exchanged business cards in celebration. Later that day at the James Marsters (Spike from the TV show, Buffy) Question & Answer Session I met up with my friend Michelle, who is a librarian in DC. We talked shop and I brought her up to speed on the job process and how things were going. Pictured here she and I await the arrival of James Marsters. She's dressed up as another character from the show Buffy, Drusilla. Might I mention that she made her dress and her necklace herself! Later, during lunch, I received a call from a college friend's mother. She and I had recently gotten in touch once I'd moved to Manassas and she's become a contact for me as far as finding library jobs in the Manassas area. We talked shop for a bit and she updated me on the available jobs which I'd already applied for. It seems that even when I take a mini-vacation, the librarians and jobs follow me. It's not a bad thing, though. On the contrary, seeing Michelle at the Con was a nice treat considering it had been about a year since I'd met her at another strange gathering. But that's another story for another time.

Another fabulous part of the trip was seeing my friend's aunt's amazing apartment. I'll provide an example of her far wall that had built-in bookshelves. My first question to her was how she cataloged everything. This is only a small sample of her collection of books, too.

4 comments:

  1. The "Today is a good day, to read!" shirt is from a webcomic - http://www.unshelved.com/ - Do you follow it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need a full write-up of the convention. Since when did you start going to comic cons?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only the ones that contain James Marsters.

    ReplyDelete