Monday, August 16, 2010

GOAL! and other literary events.

There are far too many literary events going on in the next few months that require my attendance and monetary funds. First and foremost is the National Book Festival, begun by the Bush's and continuing this year under the Obama's watchful eye. I've attended the past two years and have had a marvelous time despite the rain and the crowds. My one goal for this year is a small one and hopefully financially frugal, get Katherine Paterson to sign my copy of Bridge to Terabithia, one of my favorite childhood books.

I also learned that the Live Arts theatre company in Charlottesville, VA is putting on a production of Lois Lowry's The Giver, in February.

Onto graphic novels. I traveled the three miles to the Borders in Manassas and successfully sped-read through Scott Pilgrim Vol. 1 - 3. While I was engrossed in Volume 3 someone picked up Volume 4 and I had to take a break to nurture the headache that had come from reading too much too fast. I was very disappointed at the lack of "other" graphic novels, seemingly anything not written about superheroes. I did see a copy of Unwritten though that I meant to pick up later.

Stumbling upon more gatherings in the realm of nerdom I wanted to bring a few to your attention, if you haven't heard of them already. With that...

Small Press Expo: I meant to go last year, but never made it. You're also going to recognize more names on this giant list of exhibitors than I am (though I did catch QC's author on the list).  It's also happening at the same time as the second event I wanted to bring to your attention, Intervention Con. This particular con is launching this year and the tag line seems like it leaves a lot to be desired, but is backed up by sheer awesome via the number of guests invited. My friends, the husband and wife team authoring the mighty webcomic, Geeks Next Door , [[shameless plug]] are not guests but will be making an appearance at the Artist's Alley.

You should definitely check these out, in other words. I can't imagine a greater gathering of comic artists on this coast at least. The more you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment