Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Perceptions

In class yesterday we were speaking about fantasy and I heard a lot of people say they weren't interested in it because they thought it was all the same, it revolved around the same basic plot, or that they thought fantasy and science fiction were synonymous.

Our mutual concurrence as a class was that those readers hadn't read very good fantasy

I couldn't wrap my head around this. Star Wars + LOTR is the same? Surely not!

As a librarian, I hope to dispel this misconception.

2 comments:

  1. Thing is, we know that at a fundamental level all fiction revolves around the same nine or ten basic plot constructs. So fantasy isn't really any more guilty of repetitiveness than any other genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much to my lament, I must agree. Oddly enough, I see their point, though. But I wonder why that is? No one complains about spy books: they are ALL "whodunits" and no one seems to care. :P

    ReplyDelete