Thursday, February 25, 2010

DC Public Library

I was interviewed a few days ago by Carrie Wolfson, the head of the Volunteer Corps at the DC Public Library. I told her I was planning on moving to Manassas in July and am trying to dig my heels into working in the DC, NOVA area. By volunteering at branches in DC this will get me into the city. After discussing where I would be best suited to volunteer, I requested to be put on a rotating basis within the main branch, she gave me a tour of the library. I was thoroughly impressed by the library and its departments but did not think the Teen Room was big enough. Because of its size volunteers are not needed there very often as it's only staffed by one person. I am eager to try my hand in all the special collections, science, humanities, teens, circulation, and children departments. She gave me a list of events such as the DC Big Read and ALA Annual where I might be able to help.

The best part about Carrie was her advice to me that instead of working in a bookstore I apply at D.C. Learns. D.C. LEARNs works with adult and family literacy programs here in the District to raise public awareness of literacy issues. This lead to me to look at a Literacy*Americorps for a possible job. Getting involved with literacy organizations doesn't seem like a bad idea since the budget crisis is effecting libraries in VA and DC so terribly.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great idea about getting involved with literacy! Your posts are always so informative :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great to hear that! I'm glad it's helping you out. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete