Monday, April 5, 2010

The Book that shall not die

A subject always up for debate in the library field is books vs. kindles vs. IPADs. Some of the questions surrounding this topic are "What would serve the patron's needs best?", "What can the library afford?", etc. I've heard arguments both for and against getting rid of books in favor of electronic readers and I see it playing out everyday. I deliberately sat behind two people on the metro solely because one of them was reading a book and the other was reading on a Kindle. I couldn't help but smirk at the Kindle owner, but I often wonder how much good they do in a public library.

I personally don't want to own a Kindle right now, or any other electronic reader for that matter, because I get enough headaches and eye strain from being on my computer doing homework, actual work, and researching jobs. When I want to take a break why on Earth would I pick up my Kindle only to be staring at another electronic screen? Would I leave my Kindle in my bed after I fell asleep reading it or would I stay awake at night wondering if it'll break on its way to the floor when it inevitably is ejected by my restless sleep. Both author I admire and respect, Stephen King and Sarah Dessen, have sounded off in favor of keeping physical books around. Sarah comments on the relationship a person has with a book, how it gives a more intimate feeling knowing that you're holding it, smelling the binding paste, underlining lines, turning down the pages, revisiting it after a good year. Stephen King elaborates on similar points, saying that having a physical books relates to the art of telling a good story.

Not only do I run into people on the metro that are using electronic readers, but at my Bible Study there is consistently one person who always accesses his Bible on his Iphone. I'm a little freaked out by it and can't quite come to terms with getting rid of my bookshelf and instead purchasing a rack for my Kindle.

4 comments:

  1. I've actually used a kindle (a co-worker has one) and it's really different from reading on your computer screen. It uses a different display technology and looks a lot more like paper - no weird glare.

    But they are expensive, and not the same as books. It's another source of information; in addition to, not instead of books. I just can't see libraries getting rid of physical books all together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as the idea of using a Kindle or iPad to read books seems silly to me, it will probably amount to being a generational thing in the end. 25 years from now, you'll have a generation that grew up with electronic books as the standard. We're just now emerging from the awkward transitional phase in which there is readable content available online (such as online comics), but not a practical platform for enjoying them. Most people I know who read extensively online do so begrudgingly, not really wanting to be forced to sit upright and stare at their monitor, but realizing that it's the only way they can access certain content.

    But now, like so many other technological innovations, the Kindle and iPad have reached BACK, to replicate the experience and convenience of decidedly older "technology," in this case, physical print books. With that gap having been crossed, it should only be a matter of time before people start to think of such electronic devices as the new standard for portable reading. Many of us share that attachment to print books based on the sense experiences that Dessen points out, but those are sentimental attachments based on personal experience, and one day there will be a generation that doesn't have those.

    There will always be a place for physical print copies of written media, both for archival and historical purposes, even as the demand for print books begins to dwindle in the coming decades. And it will remain true that some materials that have not been digitized will only be available at libraries, thus the skills of research in the physical world will remain essential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Kindle's screen. It resembles real ink and doesn't strain my eyes, which is fantastic! Nor is there glare from the light. But as any good librarian will tell you, I love the feel of a book in my hands. (Although at midnight, they're a little too heavy LOL)

    Nice post :) Follow me at http://lifesagrabbag.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben: I appreciate your thoughts immensely. As I said, this is a huge topic of debate of librarians, and it's nice to know that there are some user friendly features about the Kindle I'd been unaware of. I'll have to test drive one, but nothing will replace books for me.

    ReplyDelete