Thursday, April 15, 2010

Lying about your degree of experience

There's been a lot of talk around the library world about how useful your Masters Degree will be. For the class of 2008 and below the requirements for future librarian jobs were marketed as such that you had to have an MLS degree before someone would even consider hiring up for the upper level jobs. This is still true today. However, the recession came crashing down and changed the way that libraries are hiring (not at all). In my last Public Library Seminar session the speaker flat out told the class that she personally would not hire anyone with an MLS because we're too expensive. I was stunned. She went on to say that most clerical positions now (library technicians, library associates) are being given to applicants who have a Bachelor's degree in something. MLS degree holders are not being considered for this position at all because we're considered overqualified. In fact she said that MLS candidates would not be recruited for these jobs anymore but rather for leadership and management positions. The only problem with this when you're very green in the gills with library experience, applying for Librarian II and III positions isn't a good idea unless you have the 3-10 years of experience they ask for. If you're like me and have spent the last 20 years in school, the answer is no, you don't have that experience. The next step would be to apply for the clerical positions as mentioned above. Herein lies the Catch 22, you're overqualified for the clerical positions and underqualified for anything higher. What's a girl to do?

One answer which I openly threw out in class to Phoebe* (*names have been changed) was, "What if people just lie that they have an MLS degree and apply for the position regardless?"

Phoebe was appalled at my suggestion, but Clarice was more vocal about it. Clarice said that library school students should be proud of their education and not devalue it. She said that I shouldn't tear myself down  but to be proud of all the experiences and education I had accrued. Phoebe added that it's not wise to about your degree on your resume because if you're hired that just starts off your relationship with that library entirely on the wrong foot. I am of the belief that when the people at the position do a background check on you they're going to find out anyway.

On the other half of the spectrum, Eleanor mentioned in class today that she had currently taken to lying about having her MLS degree on her resume. Most jobs won't even look at your resume if you aren't graduated with an MLS degree because it does not fit the criteria of the job. Eleanor's take is that by the time the application process is finished she will have her MLS degree, technically. My problem with this is that how are the hiring managers or HR going to misread "MLS Degree May 2010" when you're applying for jobs in April 2010? I wouldn't hire someone like that. It's still lying.

5 comments:

  1. I can't tell you about hiring at other public libraries, but I can tell you about the library system I work for. All reference staff (part and full time) have to have or be working toward an MLS. Circ Staff doesn't have to have any kind of degree, but a bachelors doesn't hurt. Children's staff often have an Education degree, but it's not always required. They've started requesting MLS degrees on all the management staff, but they've had to accept business degrees instead in a few cases because no qualified candidates applied.

    I think the term "library associate" is too general of a term - it can mean too many things. Sure, in some cases, those jobs are going to go to less educated (ie: less expensive) candidates, but others are going to be looking for MLS degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Library Associate is too general too, which is why I haven't seen it come up in many jobs lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's common practice to put down the degree you're expecting to get and your expected graduation date when you are looking for a job right at the end of your college career. I did that with teaching. I had to have a MAT for all the positions I was applying for, and of course they were plucking us up right out of grad school, so the practice was just understood by employer and applicant alike. Nothing unethical about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I'm just too literal, but she was putting down that she already had her degree, and leaving out her expected date of graduation. Library positions are sticklers for hiring candidates who already have their degree, not a few months shy from receiving it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosanne, I regret not reading this earlier. It's good to know that others are grappling with this ethical issue. And that is what it is: ethical. Just like you said, I don't want to start out employment on the wrong foot (i.e...being known as a liar). Even my boyfriend, a moral and honest man, thinks I should omit the date on my resume.

    Thanks for commiserating.

    ReplyDelete