Sunday, April 25, 2010

Why I'm here

Volunteering for Maryland Day at the University of Maryland this afternoon, I was confronted with one of the reasons why I decided to become a librarian in the first place. On the second leg of my volunteer stint I joined two graduate students in front of Hornbake. There was a carpet set up, a swivel chair, and a ring of books to be read. I picked up a few and read it to a very critical audience of a two-year old girl. A Spanish girl joined us a few minutes later, but she wanted to leave halfway through the story. The next group of girls were two boys and a girl. Their parents stared at me as I read a Chinese fable about how there is only one sun in the sky. The kids were very quiet and transfixed as I read, though I'm not sure if they were actually hearing what I was saying. I tried to engage them with voices and read the story slowly. That look on their face, transfixed, their eyes wide as I read made me realize why I love being a librarian and why I still want to work with kids one day, hopefully with a more participatory group, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment